Sunday, January 11, 2009

Recording Equipment

After last December's project of making a music CD. I have the urge to build another one and get my own equipment for it. I have scoured the net for good deals and found a few that may complete my rig.

All I needed was two microphones with a a totally different range of responsiveness. I decided I'd get a Shure instrument microphone that may directly be in front of my guitar on set up. Another would be a larger ambient microphone that may loom over or stand a few feet away. The second microphone will record the refracted sound from the guitar that may create a fuller tone when mixed with the track from the direct mic. The set up might be tricky but it would be interesting to hear the combination.

The recorder I have decided to get is a Marantz CDR301, that records directly into a hard drive and burns into a CD after recording. It's expensive but worth the take. At this rate I can explore my sound and improve the depth of my technique.

I am doing this because it is important to develop my musical side. Recording may help me improve my playing. I have resisted this development for a long time and the result of this denial proved to be fatal. I lost a lot of guitar snippets because I can not write music. This recording equipment will serve me well.

This will be a major purchase and I am not feeling reluctant but more like I wanted to know that I have made the right decision and not waste any resource in purchasing this. I am always into the fact that if proves to be productive then I may go with it, but if it is only for entertainment then it's easy for me disregard.

No comments: